The favourites bar

I have been messing about with gnome-Shell Using Fedora Rawhide, and I like the overall experience and I can see how it can be used in daily usage.

The main issue I have is that currently, opening a new application is a relatively long winded process - go to the overlay, then click applications and then click on the application you want. This just seems to be too long for commonly used applications (and even clicking the overlay and then getting the application is two clicks, one more than it would have been with the classical shell.)

Are there any plans to allow the favourites bar to stay in place outside of the overlay? I personally think I would like such a thing.

(In future releases it would become even more useful if extended to show previews of running windows of an application when its icon in the bar is hovered over.)