Re: Start a gnome-shell-extensions repository / module

Hi!

> >  * No tarballs
> >  * A README file that requests that distributions *not* package it
>
> Sorry but I don't understand this. The whole purpose of this is having
> extensions in distributors. Why shouldn't they package it?
> (A different matter is installing it by default. And of course when
> installing the package you should start with all new extensions
> disabled, similar to gnome-applets behavior)

While distributions seems to happily ignore those README files I see a
lot of reasoning behind this.

gnome-applets was something you could install and later enable/disable
in the UI. gnome-shell-extensions are there once you installed them and
they may break the shell completely. As such, it is something that a
"normal", "non-tuning" user shouldn't ever see because he doesn't know
how to go back to text mode and remove the extension.

Maybe the lack of a disable/enable UI is a bug but I don't see this
fixed till 3.0 and as such we shouldn't rely on it.

Extensions are installed per user and as such package-management doesn't
really make sense. There isn't (and shoundn't) be a system-wie extension
installation path.

Regards,
Johannes