Re: How portable is the Jhbuild of Gnome-shell?

On 01/11/2011 02:34 PM, Cyril Arnaud wrote:
To avoid any problem it's advisable to install gnome-shell under /opt
I build gnome shell on one computer and I rsync /opt/gnome-shell to my
other computers (that have the same architecture). It works perfectly.

-Cyril

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 10:52 +0100, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
Le lundi 10 janvier 2011à  10:45 +0100, Onyeibo Oku aécrit :
>  I'm thinking of trying Gnome-shell on a different system from the one
>  that built it.  Is this possible?  Which files do I need to copy?
You can simply copy ~/gnome-shell/install/, but the two systems must
use:
- the same distribution and release (well, could work without, but...)
- the same CPU architecture (most likely 32 vs. 64 bits)

But you can just try and see what happens, it won't burn your computer!

All systems here run 64bits. Some have real dual cores (Core 2 Duos), some fake dual cores (Pentium-Ds), some Quads ... but all Fedora boxes here are 64bits. When you say "install gnome-shell under /opt" what do you mean by "install"? You mean "# cp ~/gnome-shell /opt/"?