Re: Gnome-Shell - questions and opinions

On 1/3/2011 12:37 PM, Owen Taylor wrote:
On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 11:21 +0000, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 08:50 +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:
For expose, I'm sorry that you don't like, but before we remove the
feature or make it optional, we need to understand why you feel it is
wrong.

The problem with expose is that it moves your windows around and resizes
them, many times unnecessarily.

When one uses workspaces, it is often not required to have windows that
overlap each other. In other words, one sets the windows on each worspace
so that they are fully visible. That's the point of having workspaces - you
get much more screen real estate. The eye and the brain "remember" the size
and the position of windows.

I'm somewhat worried by the seemingly exclusive focus of Shell design on
a workspace-based method of window organization.

What make you think that we are exclusively focused on workspaces? Our
expectation is really that a lot of users will never use them. (*I*
don't use them any more except for specialized things like working with
the GIMP)

We removed one way of switching windows and applications (the task list)
and added several more:

  - The window images in the overview
  - The app buttons in the dash in the overview
  - Keyboard search

If you *don't* want your windows moved around when selecting them (you
don't want that feature of the overview), then wouldn't you just click
on them?

Alt-Tab, either with keynav or mouse is also expected to be a common way
of switching windows for advanced users.

- Owen

its just not the task-list, its also that you must click into activities to run something, and you can not create a icon on the menu bar. (you can on the desktop but they say that will go away also)

even alt-tab does not work properly anymore. if you have 3 gnome-terms open alt-tab only shows one object.