Re: Gnome Shell

On 1 Feb 2011, at 18:13, Rui Tiago Cação Matos wrote:

> On 1 February 2011 14:00, Calum Benson <calum benson oracle com> wrote:
>> "Flicking the pointer" is easy enough to do with a real mouse, but isn't a gesture that works very well with touchpads, which I'd guess a lot of our users will be using most of the time. When I try to flick the pointer with my touchpad, it just stops halfway :)
>
> This is quite true but something that the users can tweak with the
> touchpad acceleration slider in the control panel.

Sure, but it's already optimally adjusted for me.  If I tweak it so that I can reach the corners easier, I find it harder to use for some other tasks.

>> From a brief experiment, if my pointer's in the middle of the screen, it takes me two (on my laptopt screen), sometimes three (on my external monitor) separate finger movements to hit the corner...
>
> But, isn't it the same effort as to reach the bottom of the screen in
> Gnome 2's default panel configuration?

It is, but in GNOME 2, my final target is visible from the start.  So I can aim directly for that, and my two or three movements take me directly to it. In GNOME 3, I first have to hit the corner of the screen just to make my final target appear, then I have to move the pointer again to hit it.

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Oracle Corporation Ireland Ltd.
mailto:calum benson oracle com         Solaris Desktop Team

Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Oracle Corp.