Re: GNOME Development setup

Best place to start is in the gnome-love mailing list.  You'll need to setup 'jhbuild' (search for jhbuild and gnome, you'll get the link) and it will tell you how to get started.

There isn't a lot of documentation on extension development, you'll have to ask developers on #gnom-shell, look at other extensions, or look at source code.

IDE - people have known to use vim, emacs, gedit, and anjuta, and I suppse eclipse as well.

Hope that helps!

sri