Re: Gnome 3 desktop issues

On Fri, 2011-12-09 at 10:58 -0700, Wendell Nichols wrote:
> I've been using Linux in one form or another for almost 20 years to
> write software.

Yep, since Iggdrasil kernel 0.91a

> and languages.  I like linux because it is flexable... or was.  I keep
> all these desktops configured roughly the same so I don't have huge
> mental shifts to make when going from machine to machine.

Yes, this is one of the beauties of GNOME3.  There is finally a
"standard", or at least a quasi-standard.  Much better than every
desktop I sit down at or log into having to ask myself - no where did
those monkeys stick XYZ.

>   That is:  one
> panel, on the bottom containing the menu, workspaces, notification area
> etc.  The rest of the screen is dedicated to doing MY work.

Yep.

> desktops should be invisible until you need them not crowding out your
> apps and laying multiple title bars on things.

Agree.  That is one of the reasons I've come to really appreciate
GNOME3.  It facilitates what the DE needs to provide and then steps
politely out of the way.

> -ubuntu 11, fedora or opensuse with gnome 3.  basic functionality is
> there but there is no way to consolidate the top and bottom panel into
> one at the bottom.  That is an absolute requirement.

In GNOME3 there is a standard activities bar at the top of the screen.
There may be an extension to move it to the bottom; see
https://extensions.gnome.org

> 7 more and more these days and not hating it like I would if linux
> desktops were up to the job.

I find my GNOME3 desktop to be the smoothest desktop I have yet to use.

> Sorry to make my first post so negative but I feel that the most open
> and inclusive computing environment I've ever used has taken a rather
> sad turn for the worse.

It is an all-around improvement in my book.