Gnome Shell appears to break key grabbing rules

Hi list,

I am the developer of an application named AutoKey. One of the features of AutoKey is allowing the user to create hotkeys. The hotkeys are grabbed using the xlib window.grab_key() function. In all other desktop environments to date, grabbing a hotkey in the root window using this method causes that hotkey to no longer be received by any other application, which is exactly what I want. However, in Gnome Shell, for some reason this breaks down. Hotkeys grabbed in the root window are still received by other applications, unless I specifically grab the hotkey in every window in the tree.

I have tried implementing various nasty workarounds but they are slow and unreliable. Ideally I'd like to understand what Shell is doing that is causing this behaviour and see if there is another way around it.

Thanks,
Chris Dekter