Re: Gnome 3 desktop issues

Fallback mode doesn't work properly either for a number of reasons
(e.g. still no applets so difficult to have my world clock etc etc)
and there has been a lot of talk about how it's going away - I and
others want something sustainable that has a future.  It was also
didn't work without extra special effort on Fedora when I tried to use
it.

I like the idea of a Javascript-enabled desktop.  I've done a bit of
QML programming and it's a great idea.  Hence I am sure that various
extensions will appear that fix everything.  Linux mint  MGSE is not
too bad, for example, but I can't work out how to make a launcher (my
version of mapping hotkeys) and I can't work out lay my desktops out
side-to-side with edge-flipping but on the whole it gives me some hope
for GNOME3.

I don't think any of it is really new though - search-as-you-type
menus (as opposed to hierarchical) for example were an old idea even
when I was at university.  There are only so many ways you can present
the same apps-and-files model.    If you try Squeak, for example,
that's actually interesting - an interface that you can modify and
program as it's running.  It's modern and old and advanced and totally
unusable but I think it's an indication of what will be done more
smoothly later on.

Regards,

Tim