Gnome Shell appears to break key grabbing rules

Apologies for the repost, but I'm thinking this question may have got lost in the flood.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Gnome Shell appears to break key grabbing rules
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 09:21:43 +1100
From: Chris Dekter <cdekter gmail com>
To: gnome-shell-list gnome org

Hi list,

I am the developer of an application named AutoKey. One of the features
of AutoKey is allowing the user to create hotkeys. The hotkeys are
grabbed using the xlib window.grab_key() function. In all other desktop
environments to date, grabbing a hotkey in the root window using this
method causes that hotkey to no longer be received by any other
application, which is exactly what I want. However, in Gnome Shell, for
some reason this breaks down. Hotkeys grabbed in the root window are
still received by other applications, unless I specifically grab the
hotkey in every window in the tree.

I have tried implementing various nasty workarounds but they are slow
and unreliable. Ideally I'd like to understand what Shell is doing that
is causing this behaviour and see if there is another way around it.

Thanks,
Chris Dekter