Re: Gnome 3.2 freezes, then goes 100% CPU

On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 11:46 +0100, thiebault artenum com wrote:
> Hi Gnome list,
> I posted a question on Fedora forum (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=273532),
> but I thought it was maybe more Gnome-related than Fedora-related, so I will ask it here too.
> I have installed F16 this week-end on my MacBook Pro 3,1 and since this morning, after a few
> minutes of usage, the whole GUI freezes.
> When I type Alt-F3, I can log-in in text mode and I see that gnome-shell is at 100% CPU usage.

I occasionally see gnome-shell spinning at 100% upon login - the desktop
visually starts, but is unresponsive.  I've not had gnome-shell go into
a spin once everything is up-and-running.  strace shows that it is
waiting on some futex but I haven't figured out the root cause yet.

> I also sometimes see in this prompt view a message indicating that the core temperature
> has exceeded threshold.
> I installed GKrellM to watch the temperatures and they seem quite reasonable (the graphic
> card, at the highest temperature is currently displaying 76°C).
> Where does Gnome 3 report these kind of problems (I have seen no error meesage in the
>  ~/.xsession-errors file) ?

This is a separate issue.  Things like temp reading come from sensors /
lm-sensors.  I'd wonder if these even work on a Mac.  The sensors code
can be pretty wildly inaccurate depending upon the sanity of the
hardware;  there is lots of vendor-specific-implementation stuff
involved in reading the sensor values.  [although it seems to work well
on my Toshiba DV7-3085DX].