Re: Disliking gnome 3

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Ben Greear <greearb candelatech com> wrote:
> I couldn't find a better place to voice my displeasure of Gnome 3,
> so I'm posting here.
>
> I really just want gnome-2 back.  Fallback mode sort of works, but its
> still not as good as gnome 2 was.  I do work on my computer, not just
> open one or two windows and browse the web.  I want one-click to open
> new Terminals.  I want to drag the Terminal icon into the top task bar
> to accomplish that.  Right-click should work without having to press
> Alt.  I want the bottom task dock or whatever it's called so I can easily
> select
> from the multitude of windows I have on my desktop.

I believe using "Alt" was a fix for a major usability issue with GNOME
2, where users would easily move things and panels around by accident;
to fix that, eventually it was introduced that each panel and panel
object could be locked in place, which made actually customizing
things a pain in the ass and the codebase more complex. Using the Alt
modifier makes the panel code easier to maintain and actually editing
the panels more simple as well. And don't you just love the new
feature where items are auto aligned to the left, right or center? I
know I do. :)

As for your actual gnome-shell comment: in GNOME 3.2 you can quickly
launch a new instance of an application by dragging it anywhere on the
overview (in 3.0 you had to find an empty space). Launching new
instances from the Dash instead of bringing focus to the application
is not something that should limit you to web browsing in one or two
windows at all; in fact, as far as I understand it's also the default
behaviour for Windows, Mac and Ubuntu's Unity. A lot of RealWork gets
done this way.

As a tip I'd recommend setting up a Super + T shortcut for launching
new terminal windows. It's way faster if you often use it.

Anyway, I hope you try out GNOME 3.2 as it fixes many small problems
the original release had. I think you'll find that if you stick with
it and try to experience some of the unique features of the Shell
you'll quickly be a lot more productive with it.

> Please have a one-click (or very few clicks) option to get the old
> gnome-2 interface back.  If you want to have a new way of doing things,
> that's fine too, but please don't break the old ways of doing things
> so badly.

It's very easy to switch GNOME 3 back to fallback mode from "System
Info" in the System Settings.

Cheers,
Evandro