Re: Disliking gnome 3

On 08/30/2011 01:24 PM, Nick Glynn wrote:
Hey Ben,

Gnome 2 hasn't gone anywhere. It's not been taken away. It's just not under active development by the Gnome Foundation any more though I believe some people are
working on a fork at http://matsusoft.com.ar/redmine/projects/mate if that's of interest.

I doubt any future Fedora releases will sate your requests as they tend to track upstream Gnome but, as that's a distribution choice, you may be better off
emailing the Fedora Desktop List at https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop

Yes, I saw that mate thing..looks promising, but long term, unless it
gets into a distribution, it's probably not going to stay very active.

We ship a fair amount of linux machines to our customers, and I would
much rather keep to standard distro packages if possible.  For now, that
means staying with F14, but eventually we'll have to move forward, or
perhaps to a new distribution.

The fedora forums pretty much say to complain to gnome, since fedora is
going to follow upstream gnome, or at least that is the current plan.

I don't really want to argue with anyone about how they should run their
project..I'm obviously free to go use xfce, kde, or whatever.

But, I did want to give my feedback to the project developers just
in case it helps them realize that perhaps their new features are not
as well received as they thought they would be.

Thanks,
Ben

Hope that helps,
Nick