Re: Please add a configuration option to make 'Power Off...' the default!

hi;

On 6 August 2011 14:20, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <andrew pitonyak org> wrote:
> I just assumed that all those menu options available after clicking on the
> user name in the top right corner were broken. I tried logoff a few times,
> but the results were a wee bit frightening (as in it totally shutdown the
> GUI and left things in a strange state).
>
> You say that there is a way to power-off? Please do tell....

The Power Off... menu entry is hidden by default. You can make it
visible by pressing the Alt key in the user menu.
  -- https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

it's also in the desktop help.

the default is to suspend, but if you go in System Settings → Power
you can change the default action to be performed when pressing the
Power button to be 'Ask' which will ask you what to do (sleep, reboot,
power off).

seriously, though: it's been discussed to the death — and on this very
mailing list. the archives are public, with all the information
necessary.

> Currently, when I want to shutdown or reboot (which I rarely ever do), I
> drop to the command line and use the shutdown command. A less lazy person
> would write scripts then figure out how to add them to the menus.

which is even possible, and somebody wrote that extension already:
it's in the gnome-shell-extensions meta-package.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name