Re: Please add a configuration option to make 'Power Off...' the default!

On 08/04/2011 06:37 AM, Iki Sham wrote:
> I've been using GNOME 3 daily for about two months. I like it. It's
> simple and works better than GNOME 2.

I like some new features, but after many months of use, I am frequently frustrated with new behaviors that require more time and interaction to accomplish tasks. Kind of like removing the command line for someone that has lived in it for years.

> But, although this has been discussed a lot and it seems the devs
> settled for keeping 'Suspend' the default in the menu, I really
> think this would be trying to push a view (and a user case) of just a
> few into the whole. For desktops and casual PC users (maybe not for
> programmers; I'm not one) the default option should really be 'Power
> Off...'. Currently one can't even shut down the computer one-handed
> (talk about a11y options...) ;-)

I just assumed that all those menu options available after clicking on the user name in the top right corner were broken. I tried logoff a few times, but the results were a wee bit frightening (as in it totally shutdown the GUI and left things in a strange state).

You say that there is a way to power-off? Please do tell....

Currently, when I want to shutdown or reboot (which I rarely ever do), I drop to the command line and use the shutdown command. A less lazy person would write scripts then figure out how to add them to the menus.

> More seriously, if this issue is settled and won't change, please add
> a configuration option to alternate between 'Suspend' and 'Power
> Off...' as the default for shutting down the computer. Then if it's
> really preferable to keep 'Suspend' for laptops and smartphones,
> desktop users could set it to 'Power Off...' (and 'Suspend' would
> show with the Alt key).

Gnome seems highly configurable, but the configuration option is likely hidden in a place that you will never find :-)

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php