Re: Mockup for design team

2011/8/4 informalibre montceau <informalibre montceau gmail com>
So I explain,

when I click on application, is that I want an application that is not in the dash.
I am also disturbed to see this application in the list of all applications.

I dislike this repetition too. There is no need for the same application icon to be presented twice in the same screen.

It appears when I click on the category to which it belongs, I understand. But it should not appear
when no category is selected.

One problem with that idea is that the set of applications in the Dash (= Favorites + other open) is dynamic, so the position of applications in the application view would change too, breaking the spacial reference.

That could be prevented if only the Favorites were left out of application picker, while any other app would always appear, but that way the repetition problem would not be completely solved.

I would propose another idea: hidding the Dash itself. That is the easiest way to prevent showing the same application icon twice. Just like you said, if a user opens the application picker, that's because the application the user is looking for is not in the Dash.

Sure, the presence of the Dash hints at the possibility to drag an application icon there. But it is also possible to drag an application icon to an workspace, yet the workspaces sidebar is not shown. In my opinion, hidding the Dash in the applications view wouldn't hurt, and would free some horizontal space.

In my opinion, the Dash is useful in the [windows] Overview, but is distracting elsewhere. That is the reason why it is not shown in the normal view, but the same could be said about the application picker view (except for acting as a "hint") and also the search results view ( where it is out of context, distrating and wasting horizontal space that could be used to present more results.)

Do you understand me better ?
Jerome

Translated from the French translation by google