Re: Feedback

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Marc Fouquet <marc fouquet gmx de> wrote:
After installing Ubuntu Natty with Gnome Shell from the PPA and using it for a few hours, I also want to give some feedback.

First of all Gnome Shell appears conceptually nice and consistent (this is my main criticism regarding Unity, which is inconsistent and buggy in many places). I am not sure yet if I like the new workflow better than the traditional one, but I will definitely test it for a longer period of time.

My main points are the following ones:

====== Suspend instead of Shutdown ======

Surely this has been discussed extensively, I just want to mention that suspend simply does not work for me (tested on two computers, both do not wake up correctly).

Generally I like the gnome philosophy of simplifying things by removing options. But leaving non-technical users with a default setting that does not work is not a good choice.

It should only be a default if we detect you computer can support it.

Can you give us some hardware details, and try:

  pm-utils --suspend && echo "Supported" || echo "Not supported"

in a terminal?

====== Switching Applications ======

Before actually testing Gnome Shell in "production use" with many open windows, I had imagined that switching applications in the expose view would work a bit faster and more efficient. With many windows I often find myself spending time on searching for the right one, as their minified versions look very similar.

I think in the expose view, each application's icon should be shown in the minified window. This way finding the right window would be easier.

Also for my feeling, the animation when opening and leaving the activities view takes a bit too much time.

You can use the dash to switch between running applications too! I'm not sure why, but most people don't discover this...

====== Minor remarks ======

- I really miss a way to launch applications on startup. In Ubuntu the "gnome-session-properties" dialog can still be accessed from the command line, but settings are ignored.

There should be something in the new control center.