Re: Named, persistent workspaces

Thanks, I know the extensions and gsettings you mentioned, and used
them in various combinations. Those nuts and bolts don't add up to the
machinery of user experience I had in mind, though.
- Attaching numbers to workspaces automatically according to the
position in the list and using that for shortcuts is a bad solution,
as they are bound to shift when a preceding space is collected.
- In the same way, that makes quite useless attaching a name to
workspace number x, unless you make sure that the number never shifts
relatively to the windows.
- Avoiding collection for empty workspaces unless they're trailing
isn't really satisfying. If an unnamed empty workspace is devoid of
any significance to the user and collected when trailing, we shouldn't
keep it around when in the middle. That would be an unnecessary
technicality.

In the end, those can be useful tools for someone who understands
old-style workspaces and doesn't want to mix dynamic and static, but
don't provide a natural extension of the dynamic system that is now in
place.

--
    Elia