Re: Thumbs up!

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Diego Fernandez <aiguo fernandez gmail com> wrote:

Alright I might have been a bit harsh, but I have seen many points
argued with very solid evidence and even a proposal of how to fix
them; however, I have not seen a single one accepted on the list.
Maybe you have to keep up with more than just the mailing list to
figure out what ideas get adopted and which don't, so I could be
wrong.

Design decisions don't really occur in a mailing list.  There is just too much noise when we do that.  You need to put in a bug and discuss it within the context of bugzilla.  Discussing it here will unlikely get you anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I have good wishes for the Gnome project.  I tried
to make some suggestions and ask for certain functionality a while
back but never even got a reply.  I just don't have the time and
energy to be running around trying to figure out where it is I need to
make suggestions, who I need to talk to, or what I need to do to try
to get the usability I'd like.  Since I'm not at the level of
developing extensions or patches, I'm stuck just waiting to see what
happens... Until then I'll just follow this list and stick with other
WMs which give me more control over how I use my desktop.  That's what
Linux is all about anyway, freedom and choice.

Diego, a mailing list is just a poor place to discuss it.  You'll notice the any number of threads that we have talked about features and bugs that go unanswered.  Devs only have a limited time to peruse these threads, but they do look at bugzilla.

Case in point, I have several bugs that I put in for  multi-monitor features/bugs.  They were all worked on by Alex, all properly discussed with history.  It can be done.  Just remember that in a Free Software project things go at a certain pace and you need to go through the proper channels.  Most discussions on this mailing list is between users/app developers/etc.

As for extensions and what not.. it's a bit challenging right now, but you don't need to be technical to make a case for a feature or bug.  Make the case in bugzilla and with some data to back it up and possibly someone will take an interest and try to implement it.

sri

Sorry for the disruption of the thread, and best wishes to all.

it's not a disruption if it turns into a learning opportunity.

sri

--
Diego Fernandez - 爱国