Re: Thumbs up!

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 08:46 +0200, David Prieto wrote:

> For me it's not. It saves me the effort of managing windows half as windows
> (obviously) and half as tiny taskbar list items.

Taskbar (i.e. Gnome 2) is not the only way to manage currently running
windows. See Mac OS X and Windows 7.

> It doesn't. Overview places windows according to their previous position. A
> window you placed to the left will also be at the left in Overview. Plus,
> there's an animation showing you where each window went.

Animation? I already know where my windows are. Why do I need animation
to show me where they went if they didn't move? Hint: they _did_ move.
Also note that they changed size in exposé.

> The taskbar, on the other hand, DID change item placement. It didn't place
> windows according to their position but to the order in which they were
> opened, forcing you to search for them (yet again).

Again, Gnome 2 taskbar is not the only way to manage running apps or
open windows.

> No they haven't.

Please, you said it yourself: animation shows me where they went. If
they went, how can they be in the same place?

> If they just want to start an app they can just ignore all that visual
> change, I'd say.

By closing their eyes, I guess :-)

> as for the Applications menu itself, I don't think people
> are even supposed to use it all that much.

:-)

> In my case, I use them to get out of the way windows that I'm not gonna use
> for the time being. You know what is a good way to visually locate different
> "activities" consistently? The Dash. You open the Overview, you go to the
> Dash and there's everything, so you won't even have to stop and think if the
> app you want to reach is in your current workspace or in a different one.

Why do I need to go to the overview to see where my apps are? I can see
them right now in Gnome 2 and I don't have to lift a finger. And that's
for all workspaces.

> Really, the tools are all there. I think the problem is that you're using
> them from a Gnome2 perspective. Which is fine, it does take some time to
> adapt.

Er, no. I'm trying to understand why the system became less useful. I'm
having a feeling that some stuff was done just because 3D cards could do
cool effects. Well, that's not a very good reason, IMHO.

> I suspect the Dash (what you call Dock) is there in order to be near the
> Activities button (and the hot corner). If you were using just your mouse
> you wouldn't want to take it to the top-left corner and THEN to the bottom
> of the screen every single time, now would you?

Yes, dash. And who says dash (dock, favourites, whatever) should be at
the bottom like in OS X?

> Again, no it doesn't. I can use my screen up to the bottom, that space has
> not been taken. It's only the bottom-right corner that's taken by the
> message tray. Not that you need to walk your mouse up and down either,
> because opening the Overview will also show your notifications (hence the
> name). You can take your cursor up OR down, depending on what's handier to
> you at that moment.

Well, if I want to go to the notifications in normal view, I need to go
to the bottom right. All other notifications are on the top right. So,
yeah, I need to walk to different places.

--
Bojan