Re: My first impression of GNOME 3

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Allan E. Registos
<allan registos smpc steniel com ph> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 20 April, 2011 06:02 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> Neither Windows nor OS X (nor any
> smartphone OS I'm aware of) provides an official UI and support for
> theming, and there's no great outcry that it should be available on
> those; it's the norm for the appearance of the desktop to be defined by
> the provider.
>
> I don't use OS X but what about XP's >Display Properties > Themes stands for? Not for theming? This User Interface is official from Microsoft. As for smartphone, I understand, but with a 2005-era Sony Erickson Walkman, you can change the appearance of the phone with a third party theme and with an official User Interface from Sony Erickson.  As for WinXP they defined theme as:
>
> A theme is a set of background plus a set of sounds, icons, and other elements to help you personalized your computer with one click.
>
> The keywords are: "elements" and "one click" no, no config files to touch. Anyway, I know GNOME Shell was designed differently from the ground up, but themes is a standard feature on any D.E. AFAIK or else we are living in caves.
> And Windows 7 offers a very improved way to change the appearance(theming) of the desktop.
>
> Please clarify me on your points above.

AFAIK there are plans to add some level of personalization to the
desktop, like picking a different color scheme. What the developers
are not happy with is supporting a different theme engine for GTK+,
which in the past has not only introduced user interface
inconsistencies with some applications but some hard to debug
application crashes as well.

When it comes to widget and window decoration theming Windows has
basically two options, "classic" and the default. That's not really on
the same level as GNOME 2.X, and I don't think you'll ever see
anything like that in GNOME 3. That said, gnome-tweak-tool is
available and already lets you customize extra options with the click
of a button, so I recommend you give that a try.

Cheers,
Evandro