Re: My first impression of GNOME 3

On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 08:07 +0800, Allan E. Registos wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 April, 2011 06:02 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Neither Windows nor OS X (nor any
> > smartphone OS I'm aware of) provides an official UI and support for
> > theming, and there's no great outcry that it should be available on
> > those; it's the norm for the appearance of the desktop to be defined by
> > the provider.
> I don't use OS X but what about XP's >Display Properties > Themes
> stands for? Not for theming? This User Interface is official from
> Microsoft. As for smartphone, I understand, but with a 2005-era Sony
> Erickson Walkman, you can change the appearance of the phone with a
> third party theme and with an official User Interface from Sony
> Erickson.  As for WinXP they defined theme as:
>         A theme is a set of background plus a set of sounds, icons,
>         and other elements to help you personalized your computer with
>         one click.
>
> The keywords are: "elements" and "one click" no, no config files to
> touch. Anyway, I know GNOME Shell was designed differently from the
> ground up, but themes is a standard feature on any D.E. AFAIK or else
> we are living in caves.
> And Windows 7 offers a very improved way to change the
> appearance(theming) of the desktop.
>
> Please clarify me on your points above.

you know, you're right, and I'd forgotten that. I guess what's
interesting is how little used it seems to be; I rarely see a Windows
system with non-default icons or widgets. Changing the background seems
to be common, but not anything else. I wonder if anyone's looked into
that.

(The old Sony Ericsson phones, BTW, in my experience make a good
argument for theming being a bad idea; I had one too, and of all the
themes I tried on it, a good half would result in some kind of bug.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey