Re: Some small ideas for the Shell Panel and Overview

On 8 April 2011 18:28, Seif Lotfy <seif lotfy com> wrote:
> While using GNOME Shell I noticed that to reach "Applications" (or the
> current "Journal" I implemented with Federico) overview I have to go over
> the windows Overview first which is somehow irritating. I decided to let my
> roommates try GNOME Shell. And when I told them to open an application
> they intuitively went to "Activities" (which is a good start) but then
> stopped a moment then went to applications. Now I asked them to open another
> application and they did it again. However they both were bothered by having
> to go over the overview then click applications again (to much movement of
> windows). Also "Activities" seemed to be irritating to one of them (the
> other did not really care). I had a discussion with Ryan Lortie regarding
> the naming, where he suggested calling it "Overview".
> I took the liberty to modify GNOME shell in a way I thought would be very
> intuitive to me. While it does introduce some clutter to the top panel it
> does allow quicker access to the applications and journal. Right now me and
> Federico are running this and are liking it in a way, since accessing a
> specific overview now is just one click away.
> This is just brainstorming and I would like to know your opinion on it.

I love it. I understand what your/your roommates problem was because
I've noticed it too.

I wouldn't particularly use Library since I think keeping a list of
recent documents opened/used it unnecessary clutter, but removing the
Application tab from the window overview and placing it onto the panel
is a great idea.

If people want, an alternative to that even, is to placing the
Applications tab/button/whatever just under the Activities button and
make it appear with the rest of the ovewview.