Re: Live preview for all windows in alt-tab display?

On Sat, 2010-10-30 at 15:02 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 10:31 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 12:59 +0200, Alessandro Crismani wrote:
> >
> > > Regarding live previews, I definitely prefer large icons. For me, it is
> > > much easier to recognize an app from its icon rather than from a tiny
> > > (usually white) preview :).
> >
> > I should clarify that what I find useful with live preview is the
> > ability to see what's going on in each window without switching to it.
>
> Sorry, I should have read your messages more carefully. It looks like
> what you really want are notifications for a couple of specific
> use-cases, in particular: 'if a console operation ha[s] finished, or if
> anyone had said something in a given IRC channel'.

No, I don't want that, because my needs are more situational. I set IRC
to alert me when someone messages me. I don't set it to alert when
anyone says anything (even in some particular channel) because I don't
always want that, and it'd be noise. *Sometimes* I want to just flick
through my windows and see what's happening in them. I don't want them
all to notify me dumbly whenever anything happens, I want to be in
control.

> I'd also find these to be useful. Worth pursuing with the respective
> applications?

xchat-gnome already supports fd.o notifications with a plugin, but as I
said above, this is not what I want. It would probably be good to have
gnome-terminal support notifications for completed operations, if there
isn't a way to do this already.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey