Shell performance [Nvidia 310m]

I everybody,

I would like to start with a big thanks to the developers for the
terrific work done on the shell.

I would like to use the shell as my everyday windows manager (actually I
am already doing so), however the performance (specially with 6 or more
open windows) are quite "laggy". More explicitly, the overview seems to
appear almost frame by frame, also ALT-TABBING to windows in different
workspaces sometimes results in slow animations.

I had better results in the past with the binary pakages from Archlinux
(2.29.?), while now I'm going with JHbuild. I am using the nvidia 256.53
drivers on xorg 1.9. Same problems with older nvidia drivers and with
xorg 1.8.1. I can't try nouveau since it doesn't recognize my Sony
VPCS11C5E monitor.

I would like to ask if there is a way to report performance statistics
and if I should expect improvements before Gnome 3.0.

Cheers,
Alessandro