Re: Space, Times and projects

Il giorno mer, 12/05/2010 alle 17.04 +0200, Kao Chen ha scritto:
> We have create a new design page in the GnomeShell Playground to
> promote this idea.
> I hope it will be more clear to understand.
>
> The link is here:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/DesignerPlayground/MultiDesktop
>
> Thanks for the support

I've seen your page and I must admit I like it. Just I think the
"Desktop" is not the right concept here. In fact, the desktop
metaphor, while being very familiar to users, has some limits:
 - like wooden desktops, it tends to become a mess;
 - it requires you to minimize the current windows (something we should
   avoid given the difficulty to restore a window).
In addition, the GNOME 2 desktop implementation has some more
"flaws" (as I see them):
 - it mixes volumes (USB, SD), network shares, standard icons (Computer,
Trash) with real existing files
 - being a Freedesktop, it uses $XDG_DESKTOP_DIR (and assumes there is
one such directory)
Therefore I think that projects should be moved to a separate ~/Projects
directory, and that an extension be made to Shell to add either a
Plasma-like widget to the background, clearly distinguished from the
remaining ~/Desktop, or something like the proposed Task Pooper,
overlaying windows from the bottom.
Also, I think that instead of fixed directories like ~/Projects/Work and
~/Projects/Home, we should add tags in each directory, using a .project
file, or extending current .directory syntax. In particular we should
avoid dot-files whenever possible, as GtkFileChooser showes them
randomly.

Giovanni