Re: Alt-F2 Ideas

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 19:08, Frederik Nnaji <frederik nnaji gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 03:50, Tanner Doshier <doshitan gmail com> wrote:
I would definitely agree that Alt+F2 needs some attention and that Do-ifying it would be nice/useful. A lot of these ideas have already been thrown around though, see:

yeah, this is a very important topic for the overall usability of GNOME.

GNOME Shell currently breaks the experience by zooming out while i only want to overlay a utility for short while.
it breaks my focus of attention brutally, inspite of how beautiful Mutter's costly animations slide and glide..
i would either prefer all utilities to hide in dockable autohide panels, or to raise them intelligently and context-aware upon ALT+F2 or even upon Superkey.

One thing i can say beforehand about how ALT+F2 currently behaves, is that it does not indicate to me, whether an app i'm about to launch is already open somewhere or not..
indiating if the app is already running would be a simple overlay as in the attached mockup.
it would also make "Run Application" consistent with

David Siegel, the original GNOME Do author, said about Do-ifying the XFCE Application Finder:

It would be a great project to improve
this dialog and merge it with the many different Open With... dialog
implementations to introduce FAYT to users

i think, "open with...", "send to...", "publish..."(new.. e.g. via Gwibber) and "move to..." should be integrated, as well as FAYT functionality.

Run Application deserves to be pimped, i agree with everyone..