Re: Active Applications list

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan club fr> wrote:
> Le jeudi 24 juin 2010 à 22:19 +1200, Nick a écrit :
>> I propose some kind of active apps/tasks list that is displayed at all
>> times. I get the feeling that the developers want to keep the
>> panel/task bar (whatever it is being called) clutter free, so they are
>> not going to want program names splattered across it. I think the
>> solution would be to have smallish icons of the active apps/tasks
>> displayed next to the activities button.
> Hi and thanks for trying the Shell and reporting. This issue has been
> discussed many times already on this list though, and designers and
> developers don't have the time to answer again an again the same
> concerns.
>
> To be short: it's at the core or the Shell's design to work with the
> overview rather than an application list. Though the Shell has a support
> for optional extensions, so if somebody steps in and provides an
> application list extension, this feature will be available for people
> who feel the need for it. But not by default.

I managed to write something that, while looking similar to the
Application pane in the overview, offers rapid window management,
without zooming in and out and without moving the previously active
window, if only for a second. A dock, if you prefer.
Differently from AWN and Docky, though, this uses Shell's own window
management facilities, so should have the same behaviour in edge cases
(like windows with incorrect class, loader windows, windows with no
title, windows that cannot be mapped to an active application, etc.),
to get an overall consistent experience.
You can find it at
http://ilmagazzino.altervista.org/personal/activeapps_scampa.giovanni.gmail.com.tar.gz
(replace _ with @ after download)