Re: gnome-shell application intergration

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 8:41 AM,  <jhs jsschmid de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> I have tried Pidgin and sent myself messages from another computer/IM
>> account... and the message tray does not act the same way as it does
>> when your using empathy. With empathy, you are able to recieve msgs and
>> reply to messages straight from the message tray at the bottom instead of
>> opening up your messenger window....
>
> Well, this is using telepathy in the background which is the messaging
> backend of empathy and as such it is indeed tightly integrated with
> empathy.

Exactly. Empathy specific code has been removed long ago, replaced with
Telepathy.
Thus any application relying on Telepathy (Empathy, Kopete, Gnome Games...)
gets automatic integration with Gnome Shell.

>> Can anybody confirm support for "other ' alternate well known
>> messengers/music players for intergration in gnome-shell????
>
> In short, write a patch to your favourite application to integrate with
> gnome-shell. Nobody limits the applications that support gnome-shell but
> as of now only very few applications gained support.
> I am not an expert in the details of the message tray but I guess about
> 90% can be done in the application by supporting the new protocol while
> some things might require gnome-shell extensions.

Actually, the protocol is not new, it is the same DBus interface every
desktop environment uses (org.freedesktop.Notifications), the same exported by
notification-daemon and osd-notify, for example. Some hacks are applied for
specific applications (XChat only, I suppose), but nothing else.
(This only applies to external notifications, not those generated
inside the shell,
by startup-notification, telepathy and extensions)