Re: gnome-shell application intergration

Hi!

> I have tried Pidgin and sent myself messages from another computer/IM
> account... and the message tray does not act the same way as it does
> when your using empathy. With empathy, you are able to recieve msgs and
> reply to messages straight from the message tray at the bottom instead of
> opening up your messenger window....

Well, this is using telepathy in the background which is the messaging
backend of empathy and as such it is indeed tightly integrated with
empathy.

> Can anybody confirm support for "other ' alternate well known
> messengers/music players for intergration in gnome-shell????

In short, write a patch to your favourite application to integrate with
gnome-shell. Nobody limits the applications that support gnome-shell but
as of now only very few applications gained support.
I am not an expert in the details of the message tray but I guess about
90% can be done in the application by supporting the new protocol while
some things might require gnome-shell extensions.

Regards,
Johannes