Re: Icons on the desktop

On 06/15/2010 03:35 AM, Kao Chen wrote:
I think also that is a good idea to change the desktop approach.
But I think that it could be heavy of consequences on the Gnome-Shell design . The conversion of the desktop is a major change for an interface and we need to decide at the beginning. I understand that we integrate a such change in several times but we need to decide now. If we add it later, It will be hard to get a good integration and keep  the consistency of the design.

Regards,
Kao

2010/6/14 <jhs jsschmid de>
Hi all!

> At this point, I think it is silly to still have file management as
> the largest, most personalized and immediately accessible thing in
> Gnome 3.

All this is already covered in the design document:
"In the Shell design, the "desktop" folder should no longer be presented
as if it resides behind all open windows. We should have another way of
representing ephemeral and working set objects."

See http://people.gnome.org/~mccann/shell/design/GNOME_Shell-20091114.pdf
page 42. The though is to replace it with a journal in the long term.

Regards,
Johannes