Icons on the desktop

Hello folks,
I looked a bit through the mailing list archives and couldn't find a topic about this so far... Do the GNOME Shell devs / usability team have any position regarding "showing icons (or not)" on the desktop? (currently, /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop = False)

While we have had icons on the GNOME desktop since time immemorial, I believe those are unnecessary nowadays. They are cruft and file placement micro-management, and I personally believe the Shell would be a great way to fix the issues that caused this relic to exist.

Any thoughts? Outrage? Insults? :)
(I wanted to keep this mail short just to "test the waters", but I could make a proper essay on PGO if some are interested)