Re: some thoughts on gnome shell

Hello Francis,

On 07/31/2010 12:50 AM, Grizzly(Francis Smit) wrote:
1). the menus are a pain if you don't know the name of what ur looking for, u cannot browse
I'm pretty sure this is the case for every operating system once you first use it. Exactly which menu are you talking about? Applications menu, clock preferences menu, user menu...? Note that GNOME Shell will look much different in the future, and the menus you find hard to navigate (in this example, the applications menu) will be much easier to navigate.
2). and theres no where to put my short cut links, in normal gnome I have 4 panels top bottom and each side top and sides have lots of quick launch launchers i.e. icons and some applets, I love applets bottom is my taskbar I love that two I hate the taskbar
The application switcher lets you have "favorite" applications. This is much more space-saving than quick-launch links because it only pops up when you need it to and it gives you much more vertical screen space. If you require launchers like that, try launching something like DockbarX in standalone mode, using Docky/AWN/Cairo Dock, or some other solution that can run independently of the panel.
which brings me to
3). no taskbar I need my taskbar switching apps in gnome-shell sux
The Application switcher is actually much more efficient than a standard panel-based application switcher. Applications are grouped and it's easy to find specific windows if you have many open. As I said earlier, independent "dock-style" programs could help your apparent need for an always-visible application switcher.
in short I do not like gnome-shell so far, and I will continue to use the old 2.x series even if I have to fork it to keep it alive
Trust me, we get this comment a lot (and I'm not even a developer of the project, so I assume they hear things like this a lot more than I do). GNOME Shell isn't about being "normal" or "familiar", and isn't reinventing the wheel either. Instead, we're taking the wheel we already have and are making it more efficient and easier to control. If you're curious, the GNOME Shell project page on GNOME Live! has some interesting roadmaps, design pages, and an excellent tour. You might want to look at these considering GNOME Shell has 8 months until it is mature enough for GNOME 3.0 (hopefully).

    God bless and sincerely,
    - Ryan Peters, GNOME Shell tester

PS: You might want to work on your grammar and spelling. I'm no "grammar nazi", but it is much easier to read emails, comments, and suggestions sent in by people such as yourself if you make sure they can read what you're typing. Some people don't speak English as a first language, and if you don't speak with good grammar or spelling, it can be hard for them to respond to what you are saying.