Starting a gnome-shell session using .desktop file?

For many months now I have had a symlink in .config/autostart pointing
to gnome-shell/install/share/applications/gnome-shell.desktop

This has caused me to have a nice gnome-shell session when I log in.
However after a recent update it no longer works.

I get the following error:

/home/maxx/gnome-shell/install/libexec/dconf-service: symbol lookup
error: /home/maxx/gnome-shell/install/libexec/dconf-service: undefined
symbol: g_bus_own_name

I get the same error when following the instructions found here:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/#Running

When I run this command it works:

jhbuild run gnome-shell --replace

However I get the following errors (and I am stuck with the standard X
mouse cursors):

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module": libpk-gtk-module.so:
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module":
libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

So what has changed? I can't see any significant changes to the
gnome-shell python script.

What is the recommended way of running a gnome-shell session without
first going into "old" gnome?

Regards.
--
Mads Villadsen <maxx krakoa dk>