Re: Starting a gnome-shell session using .desktop file?

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 15:56 +0200, Mads Villadsen wrote:
> For many months now I have had a symlink in .config/autostart pointing
> to gnome-shell/install/share/applications/gnome-shell.desktop
>
> This has caused me to have a nice gnome-shell session when I log in.
> However after a recent update it no longer works.
>
> I get the following error:
>
> /home/maxx/gnome-shell/install/libexec/dconf-service: symbol lookup
> error: /home/maxx/gnome-shell/install/libexec/dconf-service: undefined
> symbol: g_bus_own_name

This problem has been fixed:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/commit/?id=911e71542beb26c0139f9b6249e73ee4d87837e4

> I get the same error when following the instructions found here:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/#Running
>
> When I run this command it works:
>
> jhbuild run gnome-shell --replace
>
> However I get the following errors (and I am stuck with the standard X
> mouse cursors):
>
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module": libpk-gtk-module.so:
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module":
> libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory

These messages are harmless; they are about loading modules that your
system has configured to enhance the functionality of GTK+:

 pk-gtk-module is for installing fonts if an application uses characters
 not on your system.

 libcanberra-gtk-module adds sounds for toolkit events.

Since they aren't present in the jhbuild root (and may not have GTK+ 3
versions on the system), the functionality will just not be added.

I'm not sure what's going on with the cursors. Cursors are loaded by
libXcursor, not by GTK+, and we don't rebuild any of the X libraries, so
Mutter should be looking in the same place for cursors as your system
window manager. It certainly works here.

- Owen