Re: Gnome-shell - some usability problems I found

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Luke Morton <luke morton internode on net> wrote:
On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 18:54 +0200, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
> Working with workspace is harder. When I had gnome-panel I had about 8
> workspaces constantly opened and I had 1:1 relationship between tasks
> and workspaces. Now I use one workspace.
>
> The problem is the change from 'array' approach to 'linked list'
> approach. Also I cannot rearrange them or insert workspace in the
> middle.
>
> I also cannot rearrange freely the workspaces. I had the set up where
> all programming tasks was next to each other etc.

I had a similar problem until I adapted my workflow. Now I only have as
many workspaces open as I need at any given time. If I'm about to start
a new task, I open another workspace. (Note, if you drag an application
icon to the add workspace button in the Activities Overview that
application will open on a new workspace.)

I had to do something similar.  Overall it's okay.  I tend to open terminal windows willy nilly since I do a lot of sysadmining stuff so I like to keep state on whatever other work I'm doing in other windows.  What makes it hard is that I do that in whatever workspace I'm in and then try to move it to another workspace.

Now I do what you do for the most part.  A little getting used to though.

It's true that workspaces can't be rearranged (that would be sweet), but
shuffling applications from one workspace to another isn't that hard or
time consuming if you really care about their order.

Huh, I never thought about shuffling workspaces around.  Never found a use for it.  I tend to keep those fixed once they are set.  Of course if there are workspace on demand then you really don't need it.  There needs to be a little adjustment in the sensitivity of workspace switching in linear mode.  It makes moving windows to other workspaces a big pain.  (bug filed)

sri