Re: Gnome-shell - some usability problems I found

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 18:54 +0200, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
> Working with workspace is harder. When I had gnome-panel I had about 8
> workspaces constantly opened and I had 1:1 relationship between tasks
> and workspaces. Now I use one workspace.
>
> The problem is the change from 'array' approach to 'linked list'
> approach. Also I cannot rearrange them or insert workspace in the
> middle.
>
> I also cannot rearrange freely the workspaces. I had the set up where
> all programming tasks was next to each other etc.

I had a similar problem until I adapted my workflow. Now I only have as
many workspaces open as I need at any given time. If I'm about to start
a new task, I open another workspace. (Note, if you drag an application
icon to the add workspace button in the Activities Overview that
application will open on a new workspace.)

It's true that workspaces can't be rearranged (that would be sweet), but
shuffling applications from one workspace to another isn't that hard or
time consuming if you really care about their order.

Luke.