Re: multiple desktop usability

2010/1/23 nodata <lsof nodata co uk>:
> Am 2010-01-20 13:54, schrieb Marcus Moeller:
>>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> While testing gnome-shell, my 4 year old daughter suddenly asked me
>> why I am zooming in and out all the time and I had to admit that's
>> exactly what I asked myself, too.
>>
>> After a while using the shell, I have noticed that the zoom effects
>> started to annoy me. As the only advantage of zooming is multiple
>> desktop switching, the next logical question was: do I really need
>> this feature (at least in such a form as implemented in the shell).
>>
>> I have never used multiple desktops at all,
>
> Is this because multiple desktops are badly integrated into the gui?

Not really. As mentioned I personally see no benefit in using them.
And the way they are integrated into gnome-shell causes me eye strain.
Using Activities as simple sidebar 'overlay' would be much better
imho. Those who like multiple desktops could still use them as before
(switcher in the panel, keystorkes to switch between them).

Best Regards
Marcus

PS: You may compare it with the reply-to-sender ML feature. I always
wondered why one would prefer it over reply-to-list.