Re: gnome-shell-list Digest, Vol 15, Issue 32

What was found to be wrong with the Category system?  I find having a huge
amount of data presented to me at once (e.g. all my applications) to be less
usable - it takes me longer to get my head round it and find what I'm
looking for, even if it's laid out logically.  I think categories reduce the
amount of data your brain needs to process at once, thus making it easier,
and quicker, to use.  Also, dynamic layouts such as recently used, or
something more complicated and Zeitgeist based, means you have to stop and
think, you can't use muscle memory to find what you were after.  There are
positives to that, but your'e also losing something as well.

How about keeping categories, but displaying favourites (or something
dynamic and fancy and Zeitgeisty) first?  In fact, isn't the application
well designed to show that?  In which case, finding additional applications
from the More menu doesn't need to, so it should just show categories.

--
Sam Illingworth