Re: New notification system

> Yeah... my bad. I'm not so used to default gnome things; maybe this is what
> people mean that ubuntu's "dumbed down" in some areas?

Don't worry, Ryan. It isn't you or the tools you use. It's just a
technical detail that takes some exploring to figure out :)

To clarify on how notify-osd does its thing with volume control: that
is a patch applied downstream, directly to daemons like
gnome-power-manager and gnome-settings-manager. The reasoning is that
volume control popups are notifications just like anything else, so it
makes sense using the notification daemon for the purpose. It's coded
defensively and happily falls back to the old way if the active
notification daemon doesn't support the necessary hints which are
currently unique to notify-osd (such as the usual notification-daemon
or, evidently, gnome-shell).

On that topic, I hope everyone here has read
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotifyOSD and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotificationDevelopmentGuidelines .
It's a very nice document, and the goals there line up really nicely
with what's happening in GNOME Shell. It would be a real shame to see
these projects duplicate each other obliviously.

Bye,
Dylan McCall