Re: Tested the latest build

Hi,

thanks for your enthusiasm and interest! Here's shot at your questions:

El jue, 07-01-2010 a las 20:34 -0600, Ryan Peters escribió:
> There are, however, some things I'd like to ask about what's planned
> for the near future:
>
> 1) A customizable top bar? I like it how it is, but being able to put
> your own things on there would be great (like a mount applet or a
> character applet, maybe?). Is this planned for the sidebar?

Short answer: No, I don't think the top bar will be customizable.
Long answer: For those that absolutely insist, it kind of already is.

There is a quite powerful extension system in the shell (think of
firefox add-ons), which may be used to add "special interest"
functionality. Adding additional items to the top bar from an extension
is certainly possible (even trivial), though discouraged.

Note that right now there is no user UI to install/uninstall extensions,
so it is probably best to think of them as developer playground for the
time being.

> 2) I'm not so fond with the sidebar shoving everything to the side,
> especially in it's full size. Maybe it could work like a dock that
> auto/intelli-hides?

The current sidebar implementation is utterly broken, there's not much
dissent about that. To my knowledge, there hasn't been a final decision
in regard of its future yet. The idea behind it was to provide a default
location for applet-like customizations (not least to keep the top bar
clean and static). Whether a sidebar really is the best way to achieve
this goal is still a little unclear, although alternatives such as
KDE4's plasma desktop or OS X's dashboard are not without problems
either.

Of course, all open design questions aside, auto-hide is evil(tm) ...

> 3) If I do the regular drag-and-drop maneuver, dragging from one
> application to another (no matter what it is), I can't switch to another
> workspace. I've tried the hot corner, alt+tab, and the Win/Meta key, but
> the only thing that lets me switch is my dock (AWN 0.4 Beta, btw).

Drag-and-drop to the overview is not supported atm. I don't think that
this is a design decision, it is "just" hard to implement.

So right now, the only way to do it is to switch to the overview, move
the windows involved to a common workspace, leave the overview and
perform the operation. And yes, that's hardly very efficient.

(On a side note, drag-and-drop is probably the single reason why I still
miss the task bar sometimes: to drag onto a task bar button to bring the
drop target to front ...)

If you depend much on drag-and-drop functionality, you'll have to keep
your dock for some more time, I'm afraid.

> 4) Is there a way I can test out zeitgiest (I hope I spelled it right)?
> I have "zeitgiest-core" installed as an ubuntu package from the
> repository, and I tried running the zeitgiest commands it came with but
> I didn't notice anything gui-related happening.

First: zeitgeist it is ... ;)

Right now, there is no integration between gnome-shell and zeitgeist.
There is a (very old) patch in bugzilla, but as both gnome-shell and
zeitgeist have changed significantly since then, I suppose it is pretty
useless by now. I haven't personally tried zeitgeist yet, nor do I
follow its development closely, but it seems to me that the core API is
pretty much stable by now, so possibly that old bug will be picked up
soon.

Or maybe not. Personally, I don't think it would be overly dramatic if
zeitgeist didn't integrate with gnome-shell in the Gnome 3.0 time frame.
Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure that both projects would benefit
from that integration, but there's nothing wrong with doing it in
evolutionary steps past the 3.0 release.

Of course, if someone stepped in to do the job, there wouldn't be many
complaints to be expected ...

> 5) Does anyone know a good replacement for the character applet?

No, sorry.

> 6) Is the bar at the top and/or the activities overlay planned to be
> theme-able in the future? I don't mind it how it is now, but being
> easily theme-able is one of the things I love the most about Gnome 2.

Yes. In fact, to a large extend it already is theme-able. If you have a
look at ${install_dir}/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css. Right
now, there is neither a way to have parallel themes installed nor a way
to switch themes, but expect these to fall in place eventually.