Re: interapplication communication

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Jose Aliste <jose aliste gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Natan Yellin <aantny gmail com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Samuel Arthur Wright Illingworth
> <mazz0 mazz0 com> wrote:
>>>
>>> At the Zeitgeist hackfest we designed a bar which pops down at the top of
>>> the screen and shows recent documents. [1] Assuming that I understand the
>>> concept of activities, that bat could serve (with a few modifications) as a
>>> replacement for the window list. Here's how it would work:
>>> 1. Instead of showing all recent documents, the bar would show recent
>>> documents which are related to the currently open documents. For example, if
>>> I have a pdf file open then the bar would show all of the other reference
>>> papers whether they're still open or not.

Yes, that s what I had in mind, like that I am not the only one. I
like your screenshot but I would like it  to have more space, like a
compiz scale where the current window is a little bigger than the
other related windows. It also makes sense to use the info that the
user has already closed some of the reference papers, and add a way to
quickly change between seeing only open reference papers and all (or
either have recently closed like in firefox)
Cool, you gave me a few new ideas.

1. Instead of showing recently closed documents in a separate menu, lets show all documents together (as stated originally) but always show open documents before recent documents and let people remove items which they don't care about anymore from the list with one or two clicks. (I'd really like to blur the distinction between open and non-open but at the same time give people a way of "shutting" documents or saying "I really don't care about this document anymore - kill it and remove it from the list!")

2. Perhaps we could place tabs at the top of the bar so that people can see all activities which they have open (or had open recently) without needing to go into the overlay. Maybe we could add on a tab for unsorted documents instead of showing them under every activity.

-Natan