Re: Re : interapplication communication

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:02 PM, David Hamm <davidthamm gmail com> wrote:
@_@ i really need to remember to cc this stuff. Sorry Owen for the repeat.

"In terms of a task list - I think *not having a task list* is one  the
| defining characteristics of the current design. Once you add something
| like a task list or a dock, many other aspects of the design have to
| change"

Your making it much more complicated then it has to be. The beauty of a dock is that it can be as simple or efficient as you like.
Customization is key.

I think though the whole dock thing is a distraction.  gnome-shell doesn't have to come with it's own dock does it?  We have two great dock projects already out there that it can integrate with.  I'm currently using gnome-shell with GNOME-Do and it integrates well.  It does a pretty good job as a windows list.

I agree that some kind of notification of what windows/apps are available on the main screen is useful as both as transition mechanism from people coming from other OS's and GNOME 2.  But the dock seems sufficient for this purpose?

As for user testing, I recommend bringing it to a school to find out if students would use it/prefer it. However in that case you will also find that students don't really use anything other then a web browser, in which case more of a chrome-os style should be implemented.

I think they might like the whole overview mode.  it gives the impression of movement which I would think would be exciting to younger kids.  Just a thought.

I believe one of the reasons (correct me if wrong) that Owen might be stubborn to allow change to said design is that he belive's shell should be stabilized foremost and implemented into fedora so they can gain real feedback. Then once they have recieved feedback shell can finally shift much like the current gnome into a more customizable and usable interface. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Although with Ubuntu's current strides in bringing the desktop to the people, and of course all linux users for that matter i'd say that time is of the essence.

The idea is to try a dual mode desktop with an overview and a work view type thing.  But as it happens, if you take the totality of the suggestions you start ending up with something like GNOME 2, Windows 7 or OSX.  An understandable situation since people have set work flows that they want to defend.  I've seen my work flow challenged by GNOME shell, but I've tried to keep an open mind and actually try to do work.  So far I haven't had the problem with needing a window list or anytning like that.  Now what I do at home is a lot different from work which is heavy on the terminal usage (sysadmin) overview mode will be an interesting challenge.

And at that tone may I suggest http://meson.us/gallery/GnomeShellDraft.jpg ( yah I'm trying to clean it up :p)

Dude, that link is just insane. :-)  I appreciate the effort but it's hard to get what you're doing here cuz the first impression just has a lot going on.

regards,
sri