Re: Making gdmuser fail gracefully

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Federico Mena Quintero
<federico gnome org> wrote:
> I'd like to see if
> gnome-shell can run with GdmUser mostly failing, at least to make it
> easier for people to try.  It also can't hurt to clean up that code
> path...
[...]
> When D-Bus fails, I'd like to make GdmUser return safe, neutral
> values so that the user menu appears not horribly empty, but not fully
> functional, either - to make it fail gracefully.
>
> Opinions?  Would a patchset for that be accepted?
Note, the upstream for the gdmuser code is in GDM.  gnome-shell just
has a copy and paste of it that's resynced every once in a while, so
patches should go to GDM first.

You're totally right that it's not behaving rebustly there and should be.

One other point, though, is that code is slated for removal at some
point soon.  Now that gnome 3 requires the accounts service, we really
need to move gdm and gnome-shell over to using libaccountsservice.

--Ray