Re: Gnome-3, First Impressions

On 12/16/2010 02:56 PM, Johannes Schmid wrote:
Hi!

4. Gnome-shell is not allowing multiple instances of an application.  Is
this intentional? Attempts to open a new instance opens a running
instance (gnome-shell faithfully brings you to the workspace occupied by
the active instance).  Sometimes I succeed in spawning another instance
via the terminal ... but replicating that success wasn't always successful.

That's a design decision. You can use the context menu (right-click) of
the launchers to start another instance.

Regards,
Johannes

I understand what you're talking about ... but clicking on "New Window" from that menu gives me a running instance. This could be a bug. It doesn't always happen that way anyway. For example, I tried to take a screenshot a few minutes ago. The application wouldn't start ... there was no running instance. Meanwhile, the bottom "toaster" announcer said the application had started. I got no visuals, like it was running silently or something. The only method that consistently executes an application is dragging the icon unto a workspace. Then, I see the GUI appear in that workspace and everything is okay.

So, yes ... I'm having another preview already. Let's say, I'm beginning to enjoy the work-flow ... and adapt to the mouse gestures. Natural ... somewhat.

Reiterating on my earlier observations (the graphics): I went further to apply the "Gnome 3" desktop theme with its borders. I see where the graphics is going. Though I can't recall installing the theme. I suppose it came with the preview package. However, I spotted an "Oops" somewhere again. The maximize, minimize and close buttons are not interactive. No visual effects ... just still like a picture (its a picture anyway )! Here is the area: http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7279/screenshotcnb.png

Taking a distant look at the desktop, I still think the proportion of the fonts at the top pane is a little too big with respect to the other elements on the screen. Take a look:http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/9179/screenshotkmm.png . I love that Chat menu ... makes me wonder where Empathy/Pidgin fall into the scheme of things. Although, the gradient/fading text backgrounds should disappear entirely.

With the changes I see so far, I suppose there will be new specifications for Desktop & Icon themes. Any lead to these new standards is highly appreciated. I should get myself psyched up for some icon works.

This is good.

Onyeibo

--
Oku Onyeibo