From: "Jean-Peer Lorenz" <peer loz gmx net>
To: "gnome-shell-list" <gnome-shell-list gnome org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:08:09 PM
Subject: Re: Sujestion

I just want to show my (for me most efficient) desktop setup with legacy
Gnome. I'd be glad if Gnome Shell could look or provide something
similar. The setup evolved over some time and considers following
issues:

* don't waste space - it is not necessary to display the application
name within a window list and the application window title

* provide a fast way to switch between applications. For me, a full
window list is visual too distracting but I *really need* a way to
switch windows fast and mouse-only. Common usecase: read
newsletters/rss-feeds in Evolution. These contain very often links to
the full report/news/story. I just skim through my subscribed
feeds/newsletters (in overview mode) and then click on links pointing to
interesting stories. Then I have to switch into the browser, read (or
often just skim) through the story, close the browser tab. Then switch
back to Evolution. Repeat this 20 times in a row.

* Locate window buttons of maximized windows at the same position
consistent with button placement of normal windows (here left-sided)

Currently, I use a combination of Gnome 2.xx and Compiz which removes
window decorations for maximized windows plus 'Talika Window Switcher'
plus 'Window applets' panel applets. Works perfectly for me.

Regarding Global menu: I've tried it and *really* disliked it. It breaks
the mental connection between windows and their menu bars. It increases
required mouse moving. It becomes even worse on big screens (imagine a
relatively small window placed in the lower right corner of your screen
and the related menu in the upper left corner).

So, summarized:
+1 for Gnome Shell
+1 for (optional) window switcher/taskbar
+1 for window title in top panel
+1 for moving clock/calendar applet from center of top bar to the right!
-1 for Global menu

Just my 2 cents.
Regard. Jean-Peer