Reasoning behind panel re-implementation

Hi,

I've been playing a bit with Gnome Shell, and, largely, I like what I'm seeing. I'm just wondering, though, why the panel is being completely re-implemented in a non-backwards-compatible way. I understand that the panel is meant to be more closely integrated with the window management, and I applaud this, but I don't understand why support for the myriad panel applets that have been developed using the current system will be dropped.

I see in the mailing list that there's discussion about the clock. Wouldn't it make more sense to use the existing clock applet, which is rich in functionality, rather than reinventing the wheel?

I know that Gnome Shell is powered by _javascript_, and that therefore there are some issues with using applets written in C, but I honestly do feel that writing some sort of wrapper to enable users to use whatever existing applets they want would solve an awful lot of issues. For example, users could enable the traditional GNOME menu as a way to 'get used to the system'. Less time would be spent redeveloping functionality that already exists in GNOME, and more time could be spent delivering a really great UI and UX. I also think that take-up (by users and distros alike) would be faster, as you wouldn't have people waiting for the favourite applets to be 'ported' to the new system.

It's just my two cents, but I'm really interested in hearing the responses from the devs (and non-devs, of course. ;))

Barry
--
Not sent from my iPhone.