Re: Location of activities button needs to be re-considered

>For a right-handed person > the hand is forced to move across the
>screen , which is not ideal. And since the activities menu will always
>be needed for most of the interactions this would be a major issue...
>...[this is one reasons the atm kiosks and several other kiosks place the
>keypads on the right and the displays on the left]

I totally agree. Touch screens would benefit from a right-hand side menu.

>This positioning is also a problem when using a desktop and mouse , the
>hand , while holding a mouse , is easier to flick to the top-right and
>bottom-left than any other directions.

Actually, it's the bottom-right, top-left, top-right and bottom left in that order for a right-hander.
ref: http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html
see answer to question # 3

>Any reasons why the present top-left is chosen for the default?

As per the site I referred above, the ease of access for the positions in case of left and right handed persons is:

bottom-right:
1st for right hander
4th for left hander

top-left:
2nd for right hander
3rd for left hander

top-right:
3rd for right hander
2nd for left hander

bottom-left:
4th for right hander
1st for left hander

As a majority of people are right handed, the top left makes for a good compromise.

Of course, the devs will have to confirm if this is indeed the reason.

Regards,
Robin