Re: Ideas about running the Shell as a "real" session?

I run gnome-shell from git with twinview using proprietary nvidia
drivers (8800GTS), and I start it automatically by symlinking the file

~/gnome-shell/install/share/applications/gnome-shell.desktop

to ~/.config/autostart

rather than using --replace

It runs very smoothly at all times (subjectively speaking, at least 60Hz)

Maybe the issue is driver problem with SLI, have you tried without?