Re: Time based profiles for recent docs. (day routine based)

2009/11/16 William Jon McCann <william jon mccann gmail com>:
> Hi Deepak,
>
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:45 PM, DEEPAK KUMAR <deepakk79 yahoo com> wrote:
>> Consider this scenario:
>>
>> John works from 9 to 5 on his system and works with hundreds of CAD files as
>> a part of his job. From 5 pm onwards its leisure time for him when he would
>> like to hear some songs. (He follows this routine everyday). But still, the
>> recent documents section in Gnome-shell is filled with CAD files.  Now he
>> has to use nautilus or use zeitgeist to bookmark, tag, filter and find.
>>
>> Again the next day when he begins his work at 9 am the Gnome-shell recent
>> doc is now filled with songs list. So the Gnome-shell is not really helpful
>> for him some times. In fact, its turning out to be counter productive for
>> him sometimes.
>>
>> Most of our activities are time based and routine and the Gnome-shell should
>> be dynamic and flexible in this regard.
>>
>> So  we need a time based profiles to track used files (track files accessed
>> during a specified time period in a day). We can use a separate profile for
>> time 9 to 5 which we can name it as office/work. After 5 pm leisure etc. Its
>> better to have timed profiles like this so we can access files we really
>> need at that point of time. Of course, the timed profiles should change
>> automatically, but switching profiles manually should also be allowed in
>> case (like Sundays, when no work is done by our John)
>>
>> Zeitgeist will not serve this purpose as its better suited for searching
>> files and generally deals with larger time frame and is good for random
>> searches.
>
> I agree with you that a recent files list as it exists today is far
> from ideal.  I'm hoping to replace it with something better as soon as
> we can.  Recent files is just one possible approach to what I've been
> referring to as the finding and reminding problem.  Places are too
> essentially.

I get the feeling that you imply that the Zeitgeist engine wont solve
this problem for you, or maybe you are just referring to the GUI part
of the equation? If the Zeitgeist engine is unable to solve this
problem in a satisfactory way, can you elaborate on the short comings
so that we have a chance of fixing it before we freeze the API?

--
Cheers,
Mikkel